Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Adoptees Getting Published: Other Tongues Anthology


Normally I don't like to toot my own horn (probably 'cause there's not much to toot), but, along with transracial adoptee Lisa Marie Rollins, a piece of my writing is published in a new anthology called Other Tongues: Mixed Race Women Speak Out. Mine's a wee essay about appearance and how the "mixed" look is commodified in advertising and other ways. Mostly my observations and personal experiences which are naturally wrapped up in discussions of hair and adoption. Some awesome writers whom I adore are in this anthology, such as the famous poet Natasha Tretheway. Which is really why you should buy this book.

The editors have sponsored a few release parties, mostly in Canada. Hopefully there will be more stateside readings and launches, and I'll post updates here so you can come and listen, cheer, laugh, weep and support the celebration and contemplation of mixedness.  

No comments: