Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Racial Profiling Legislation

Check out this Colorlines Video showing interviews with Black men in Brooklyn:






Nothing new, right?

So what can we do about it? In clicking around the Colorlines site, I found a link to this Rights Working Group organization, which spearheads campaigns against profiling.

Also, there is an End to Racial Profiling Act in the House, though I'm having a hard time figuring out whether the issue has been tabled or not. The House Judiciary Committee held a hearing on 6/17/10 regarding racial profiling in law enforcement. (The link to documentation is dead, however.) If it's been pushed aside, then what we need to do now is contact our representatives and tell them to revisit the issue. Writing to representatives really does make a difference--I'm often surprised by the number representatives in PA, IL, and NY who respond when I write to them about adoption legislation. (Good news to come on the PA adoption bill, by the way.) So find your rep here, and write away!



2 comments:

Jessica said...

I just found your blog from John Raible's blog. Love it!! I would like to link to it from by blog if that is okay with you. My blog is private, but I would be happy to add you if you are interested. Please trust that if I link to your blog, no harm is intended. I am a prospective adoptive parent on a quest to learn as much as I can about transracial families.

Liberty said...

Hi Jessica,
Link away! I'm ecstatic when adoptive and foster parents get involved in dialogues with adoptees and birth families online. We need to hear each others' voices. Good luck to you in adoption.
--Libby