Monday, July 5, 2010

Cancer and My Adoptive Mother

I haven't posted as often as usual the past month, partly because I've been dividing my time between PA and my parents' home in IL. My mother has endometrial cancer. Though we've caught it pretty early (Stage I and II), it's still scary.

A few things Mom's said have made me think about our family situation, how we are not related by blood. Her cancer is the same cancer that afflicted both her mother and her grandmother. "Well, at least it stops here," Mom said to me. "This cancer stops with me."

(It reminds me of author Cheri Register, whose adoption book I read a few months ago. She suffers from chronic health problems, which was a major factor in her decision to adopt.)

Also, anytime a woman has a hysterectomy, hospital protocol is to offer counseling services for coping with the loss of the possibility of bearing children. But, as Mom pointed out, she had to grieve that loss 30 years ago, when she and my father realized they could not have kids the traditional way.

Mom is in good spirits, ready to get the treatments and surgery over with. She even laughs when she says: "My woman parts have grown nothing but cancer, so I just want them out!"

3 comments:

Ronni said...

Sounds like she's gonna be OK. *hugs*

Susan said...

Sending good thoughts to both you and your mom, Libby.

Peppermint Patty said...

Praying for full healing for you mom. <3