Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Witnessing an Adoption

Today I witnessed an adoption finalization, at the courthouse in downtown Pittsburgh. It was the last step of the adoption of F and T, brother and sister ages 15 and 16. I met them as foster kids last year at the adoption agency where I serve as a mentor. The two were taken in by a family last November, and now, after months of molding their lives together and lots of paperwork, it is official. In many ways, the whole thing reminded me of a marriage ceremony. The kids were given a new last name. The lawyer asked the adoptive parents questions affirming their commitment, such as:

  • Do you understand that this child can inherit from you, and you from the child?
  • Do you promise to provide for the child's needs?
  • Do you promise to love and nurture the child?
It was a happy day. The kids had been waiting for a home for a long time. It can be tough to place teenagers--many people prefer younger kids. And just one as opposed to a pair. But I know these kids will light up their parents' lives--they are incredible, smart, and strong. 

It was not my first adoption finalization, but of course I don't remember my own, which took place when I was six months old. But I have asked my parents about it and have recreated the moment many times in my mind. I know it was every bit as meaningful and touching as what I witnessed today. The making of a family.

No comments: