Thursday, May 6, 2010

I Graduated, and Wrote a Hair-Race-Adoption Book!

That's right. After three heart-wrenching, joyous, challenging years at the University of Pittsburgh, I am officially a Master of Fine Arts in Creative Nonfiction writing.

My thesis is the longer, more personal version of this blog: a memoir tentatively called Growing Roots: A Story of Adoption, Heredity, and Hair. I wrote and rewrote and added to and cut and revised this manuscript several times, and I know it's not completely finished yet. But, I have a full draft. It's 226 pages. I'm ready for an agent or publishing house to love it and buy it, preferably for a million dollars! Just kidding. Honestly, publishing was never the main goal of this project. Mostly it was to write through unresolved issues of my own adoption, circumstances of which caused great turmoil and identity confusion. It is the story of why adoption is flawed in this country, why an atmosphere of SECRETS is not healthy. It is also a story of triumph. Yes, it is.

Amen.



7 comments:

Ronni said...

Congratulations, my beautiful friend!

Sarah Grooms said...

Congratulations! What a wonderful accomplishment!

upfromsumdirt said...

congratulations!

(and fyi:
your twitter page linking to this blog is 'broken' - having an '@' sign where the first '.' should be)

Erin said...

Super-duper congratulations, Libs. If you're sharing it with readers, I would love love love to read it sometime :)

Amanda said...

Congrats!!

emily said...

Congrats Libby! After taking that adoption class with you, I would LOVE to read your book someday. I'm so glad you did it!

Liberty said...

Thank you, everyone! Hopefully I'll be able to share my story, in novel form, with all of you one day. :)