Thursday, February 11, 2010

Adoption Film: Off and Running

A wonderful documentary on adoption called Off and Running was released January 29, 2010, to much acclaim.

It is the story of Avery, Black adopted daughter of white lesbian mothers in New York. She is a good student, a track runner, soon to leave for college. She begins a journey of seeking her birth family. She has a lot of support from her adoptive family, but still things go, quite literally, off track. This film does a wonderful job capturing the complexities of transracial adoption, searching for birth family, what can happen when contact is made, and the varying perspectives and responses of family members involved.

It has won numerous awards and several film festivals--deservedly so in my opinion.

I'm presenting on a panel about the film here at the University of Pittsburgh next Thursday, February 18 (for those of you in the area, room G-24 in the Cathedral of Learning). If you can't make it to the showing, I highly recommend finding a way to watch it on your own. Check out more details here. Watch the trailer below.

4 comments:

Peppermint Patty said...

Liberty,
Where am I going to be able to see this movie? Do you think it will eventually be on the internet somewhere/sometime?

It looks VERY compelling.

What are your OWN personal thoughts when Avery's adoptive mother says, "You want to know who you are? I'll tell you who you are. You are my daughter. His sister. His sister."

I felt like the adoptive mom was missing the point to so much more that Avery wants to know.

Marianne said...

The film starts at 7:30 pm.

Peppermint Patty said...

(Psssttt...Libby? I just started my own blog on "Blogger." Will you please join, so I don't look like a big loser? Thanks! :) Patty)

Liberty said...

Patty! I was just getting ready to write back to you! I agree with you that the thing you point out the adoptive mother saying is silencing. Luckily throughout most of the film we see her being quite understanding and empathetic. You can tell it's tough for them to really "get it," though. I'll check out your blog!