Sunday, November 29, 2009

Adoption Reunion Show on ABC

Apparently ABC is taking a new interest in adoption--well, reunions that is--for its new show Find My Family. (Reunion is only one part of the life of a person who has experienced adoption as an adoptee, a birth parent, or an adoptive parent, but reunions provide good dramatic fodder for the big screen and always get all the attention.)

People in the adoption community are waiting to see how the show's producers will treat the complex issues surrounding adoption. Hopefully the show won't merely sensationalize what are often highly emotional reunion events. Hopefully it won't over-commercialize these personal experiences.

The show's host, Tim Green, is a reunited adoptee, so his personal involvement in adoption might abate some of these fears, but we'll have to see. A preview of the show aired last week, and Tom Shales of the Washington Post found it to be a touching tear-jerker in his review. If you caught the show last week, what did you think?

If you haven't seen it yet, the next show airs tomorrow (Monday, Nov. 30) at 9/8c on ABC.






2 comments:

Mary Lynn Fuller said...

The word "fake" kept coming to my mind as I watched last week's show. Of course not much searching was mentioned and that is typical of reunion shows. But what was mentioned seemed to me to have been made up.

Will we see the real struggles of looking for birth family or how adopted adults are denied access to their original birth certificate in the majority of the states? I highly doubt it. I fear we will only see tears of joy to try to make the viewers think that all reunions go this way when we know that is not the case. So again "fake" comes to my mind.

Susan said...

I just wrote a MASSIVE blog post in response to this show! Yeah, it's fake and melodramatic and cheesy and all that, but I have to say, I'm mesmerized.