Saturday, October 10, 2009

Good Hair Documentary

Did anyone make it to see Chris Rock's "Good Hair" documentary? It was released last night in "certain cities" (which I take to mean New York, Chicago, Montreal, and Los Angeles--not Pittsburgh). If you did, tell me all about it! I can't wait to see it when it's released everywhere Oct. 23.

Get this. Apparently a woman named Regina Kimball is suing Chris Rock for copying elements of her 2006 film "My Nappy Roots." Her film, which traces the history of black hair care, has only been shown in educational settings and at festivals. I'd like to more about this, because in some ways it's confusing. Rock's film is based on his daughter's experiences, at least initially, right? And did he go to all the same salons and hair shows, etc. as Kimball did? Perhaps the projects are similar, but when it's an individual journey it gets tricky, I think. How can someone copy someone else's memoir? How much style mimicking is okay, and when does it cross the line into plagiarism? I guess I can't speak definitively in this case since I haven't watched either film, but if anyone has feel free to chime in.

Either way, I think the film is worth checking out, as it adds to the conversation about hair that never ends...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please take a moment to check out my documentary film BLACK HAIR

It is free at youtube. 6 parts including an update from London, England.

It explores the Korean Take-over of the Black Beauty Supply and Hair biz..

The current situation makes it hard to believe that Madame C.J. Walker once ran the whole thing.

I am not a hater, I am a motivator.

Plus I am a White guy who stumbled upon this, and felt it was so wrong I had to make a film about it.

self-funded film, made from the heart.

Can it be taken back?

Link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p96aaTSdrAE

Liberty said...

Wow, this is really cool! Thanks for sharing. I'll be posting this soon to spread the word!