Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Celebrities Embrace Real Hair


Tyra Banks says that in conjunction with this season's start of The Tyra Banks Show she's going all-natural, as in no more weaves/extensions--only real hair. She has declared the date of her season premier, September 8, a National Real Hair Day, and is calling all black women to join in. Check out an article about it here.
source: http://justjared.buzznet.com

To promote her new initiative, last Monday she and her mob stood in the streets of NYC, stripped down to nude underwear, and chucked their weaves. This smacks of grassroots feminism like the burning of bras. Be rid of false standards of beauty!

I'm glad for this new attention on going natural. Solange Knowles recently cut her hair super short and chucked her wigs. The world was a bit up in arms. Check out 40 pages of heated comments about it on StyleNews.com. Some said she looked "ugly" or "like a man." People can be so mean! In response to all the negative commentary, she responded via Twitter: "I just wanted to be free from the bondage that black women sometimes put on themselves with hair this phase of my life." She was seen soon after the big cut with a wig on again, but has since returned to the natural.

Hooray for Solange! Some are criticizing Tyra for only reserving one day for natural hair (I too thought at first she would do it for the entire show season), but still I say Hooray for Tyra! Hooray for natural hair! Let's all participate in National Real Hair Day (that means you too, Ronni! :) )


5 comments:

Jessenia said...

i am not my hair-India Arie definitely. i cant wait to see this happen. i do think many people get caught up in the their hair and forget who they are under that cap. i mean having a nice weave here and there is nice, but be proud of your roots!

Liberty said...

@Jessenia
I totally agree. Right now I have the hot-comb straight hair thing going, and it's a nice change. No more permanent chemical changes though!

Ronni said...

You know I'll be celebrating my hair! Seriously thinking of doing the BIG CHOP, but I'd like to get a few more inches first.

mindfuladoptee said...

I say go Tyra Banks...! I wish I had the guts to go completely natural and not color my greys, use pomade, straighten my hair, etc... Ah, the natural life seems so sweet...!

Liberty said...

April you should do it too, then! On National Natural Hair Day next month no covering grey hair, pomade, or flat irons!