Friday, July 31, 2009

The Only Way Forward

Can I just say that I am so proud of our president? Sitting down for beers with Sgt. Crowley and HLG to discuss the possibly racial profiling incident that has emblazoned the news for more than a week now. Talk about diffusing conflict and taking the high road. Another thing I like about Obama is the fact that he owns up to his mistakes. He's not afraid to admit when he's wrong and apologize for it. He retracted his statement that the Cambridge police had "acted stupidly" and admitted that he "could've calibrated those words differently." I'll take that any day over blatant lies ("I did not have sexual relations with that woman.")

Here's my favorite of his quotes from the day:

"I have always believed that what brings us together is stronger than what pulls us apart. I am confident that has happened here tonight, and I am hopeful that all of us are able to draw this positive lesson from this episode."

Although I think this particular story might have been blown a bit out of proportion too quickly, and I don't think the media put all the facts out there in the initial reporting, Obama has used this situation to set an example for how we must move forward with race relations in this country--by TALKING about it. As people, as equals, side-by-side. White people shouldn't be afraid to talk about their fears and frustrations; Black people shouldn't immediately jump on the defensive. Are we running toward the post-racial finish line? Perhaps...



No comments: