Saturday, January 3, 2009

Carol's Daughter Tui Herbal Shampoo and Hair Milk


A few months ago I finished my first bottle of Carol's Daughter product: Tui Herbal Shampoo. Carol's Daughter is a strong brand, well-known to most curlistas. Natural ingredients, meant for the curliest of curls--very popular among black and biracial folks too. Tui Herbal is one of the brand's bestsellers, and is made from extracts such as lavender, rosemary, sage, nettle, clover, and aloe vera. You can imagine the smell, since there is no parfum content. It is runny, but in the way that clarifying shampoos from the 1990s were. And, actually, it is quite clarifying, which sometimes can be hard to achieve when you're looking for extra conditioning. After a wash my hair/scalp felt absolutely squeaky clean. And herbally. No product residue (does this have to do with the no-lather factor?). No sense that I maybe didn't get it all rinsed out. Absolutely no frizz. Definitely recommend it. The watery-ness made it a bit difficult to use and regulate amount, but hey--small sacrifices I say. 

Following a wash I'd use leave-in Hair Milk (see photo), which is meant for dry curls, and coats the hair with various oils such as soy bean, sweet almond, lemongrass, apricot kernel. There is fragrance in it, but almond oil itself will do it for me. A small amount goes a long way, and I'm only just getting to the bottom of the bottle after 24 months! This is a keeper, and I definitely recommend it for a daily leave-in. 

Apparently now CD offers a "new and improved" version (see photo) of the Tui Herbal with added moisturizing ingredients "to create a thicker shampoo." (side note: These two products were given to me by Brandon, so in some small way they are a reminder of our relationship to me. It has me wondering if there will be a "new and improved" and even better relationship between us down the road...)

No comments: